Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Forbidden Fruit


Being an artist is kind of a funny profession/life. I spend a lot of time alone in my studio working on paintings, collages, and sketches.  I get really excited when I explore a new direction in my work. It might be a technique or subject matter. It's hard to know if my work will resonate with others or if it's just me who is excited. I want others to like what I'm doing...that's human nature. And nothing feels more personal than a piece of art. I am exposing my soul on a piece of paper for others to see and judge. It feels all to reveling at times. I know I can't please everyone and I must satisfy my own creative needs, and desires first. If I am afraid of rejection I wont grow. I have to be willing to stretch and take risks. When I take risks...great things happen...not when I play it safe! Its okay to be afraid...as long as I don't let the fear paralyze me.
The Forbidden Fruit, to be featured in a new book, by North Light
A few years ago I took a risk and began exploring stained paper collage with watercolor. Oh my gosh...what fun I've had! These wonderful pieces have taken my work in new directions and opened doors that had been closed to me. All because I was willing to take a risk and stretch in a new direction.

Take a risk and come try something new. I want to share how this wonderful medium of Japanese papers and watercolor can awaken your creative spirit. I am teaching this workshop in San Diego March 10-13 and Palos Verde April 4-5. I promise to inspire, encourage and awaken your creative spirit.

Happy Creating!

Brenda

13 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful Brenda. Wish I could attend your workshop but I am in England. Have you ever thought about teaching an online class?
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, Thanks for asking...it looks like I'm going to teach on line! I'll reveal more information as dates become available.

      Delete
  2. This piece has so much depth and energy. The paper texture really adds so much to the vibrant colors. It's never easy to take risks but you never know what you're capable of unless you do. Your blog is a great inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly a lovely work of art. Your work is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your watercolor work is always colorful and vibrant, but with these stained paper collages (this piece and the Poinsettia you recently posted) I see a vibrancy and depth of color unparalleled! Congratulations on making this artistic discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the Palos Verde class in Rancho Palos Verde? Thanks... seeing if it's not close enough to relatives for me to consider. I'm so wanting to take one of your classes... but I'm in Arizona. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's California, Katie. Maybe next time!

      Delete
  6. Brenda - so gorgeous - wish I lived close enough to take a workshop from you. Your art is always so lovely. Hope you have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance you would do this workshop at Dillmans this summer?
    I would LOVE to take this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny,
      This summer I am teaching "Negative Painting with Watercolor", at Dillman's. It's a very popular subject. Hope you'll think about it!

      Delete