Friday, February 7, 2014

Negative Painting with Watercolor


Last summer I filmed my newest DVD, Negative Painting with Watercolor. Many hours of thought, planning...went into preparing before filming day. I'm a nut when it comes to presenting solid and informative teaching material. We have gone through two edits and the final version is complete! We hope to have it available in Spring 2014. I am so happy with the final DVD and I hope you'll like it too. 

 
I showed up for filming at 9:00am. The team and I went over lighting, camera angles, chapter outlines... And then it was time for me to do my thing, teach. Many hours later this little engine began to run out of steam...in serious need of a jump start I hunted down a cup of coffee and a candy bar. A little sugar and caffeine to the rescue! This is far from my regular diet (mid-day coffee YES, sugar no). Within minutes I was fired up and ready to go. Admittedly...kinda scary looking when both kicked in (grin).
In the meantime...as I wait for the DVD to be available I made a short video of negative painting. This isn't part of the DVD just something fun to share. 
If you have difficulty opening the video paste this link into your browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62KuWhWkaU


Happy Painting!
Brenda






22 comments:

  1. Brenda, this is so exciting. I took your class but my memory leaves something to be desired. You are the best teacher I have ever. You teach how to paint with watercolor, not just how to copy a painting done by the teacher. I am looking forward to the new DVD. I will be one of the first to get it. Good Luck and Happy Painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really excited to hear about your dvd Brenda. Love the negative space video. I have never done a painting like this so it seems complicated but the end result is stunning.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with negative painting for years. In my DVD I show how I learned to see "negative space". I'm really proud of it!

      Delete
  3. Brenda - wonderful video of negative painting...loved your pic with snickers and coffee. Looking forward to seeing your new DVD - adding that to my list to look for when it comes out. Have a lovely week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great DVD Brenda and I love your artwork! Wish I lived nearer......but the Netherlands is too far away! Just have to watch your tutorials and blogposts! warm greetz Miranda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miranda, I hope the DVD will feel like a mini workshop in your home.

      Delete
  5. I love that video and can't wait to try a "negative" painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really excited to have this!!!! Love your work and your little fun video too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Negative painting is like writing with my left had (I am right handed). It is a whole new way of looking at space. The clip was great & look forward to purchasing the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, yes it is a whole new way of seeing...but fun when you get the hang of it!

      Delete
  8. wow what a fabulous little video of painting negative shapes..Its got me inspired to do it more often. Your work is wonderful, thanks for sharing so generously..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, Thank you for the nice words. It's fun to share especially when the response is so positive!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful video and beautiful results. You make it look so easy! Inspiring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Berenda, your works are so good and ur sketches too. The video on negative painting is really really good. Going to learn a lot from u :-)

    Thanks,
    Dipti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brenda! Thank you so much for this post. Seeing the colors has been a huge help. Recently, after having taken too long a hiatus from sketching, I've been getting really hung up on choosing a palette and the colors it want/need to fill it with. I was thinking that I "had to" have a warm, cool, and earth tone of each primary, at least two greens, two violets, and orange, a grey, and a brown, but could not find a small enough palette to hold all 16-18 colors I felt I "HAD TO" have to carry with me. Seeing your basic palette of 12 really made realize how much I was just over complicating everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brenda, I'm so happy for you on your new DVD cant wait can you please do another Art journaling showing us brush work on how you do trees folige, how to start a page ect? Anyways looking forward to New video,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete